Accessibility and Special Needs
The Museum is designed to accommodate multiple abilities. For information on accessibility at the Museum, please call 760.233.7755.
- We welcome service animals that are required because of a disability and have been trained to support specific tasks.
- Sharps container located in family restroom for safe disposal of medical waste.
- Toddler changing table with pull out stairs located in family restroom can accommodate children up to 100lbs.
- We hold Sensory Friendly Mornings every Sunday from 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. A sensory box is available for check out from the Front Desk at any time of your visit.
- Braille books are available for check out from the Front Desk.
- All professional aides accompanying children with special needs to the Museum receive free admission.
- The Museum is a peanut-free facility. Please do not bring peanuts into our facility. Any items with peanuts may not be consumed on the premises.
- Smoking is prohibited on Museum property.
- The Museum parking lot is located in the front and on the side of the building. Parking is free and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Overflow parking is also available. View Directions & Parking for more details.
Restrooms and Baby Care
- Restrooms, including a Family (unisex) Restroom, are located behind the Museum Store. All restrooms are equipped with a baby changing table and diaper pail. Size 4 diapers are available for purchase at the Front Desk. Wipes, dry bags, and clean pants are available in case of emergency.
- Exhibits are cleaned, disinfected, and laundered using environmentally friendly cleaning products. If you or your children have any sensitivity, please inquire before your visit.
Food and Beverages
- The Museum Store offers a variety of organic, non-GMO drinks and snacks suitable for gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan diets. All food and beverage options are natural, avoid dyes and preservatives and are free of MSG, artificial sweeteners, nitrates/nitrites, soy, and high fructose corn syrup. Outside food and beverages are permitted inside of the Museum and may be eaten in designated eating areas. There are many local restaurants located within walking distance of the Museum. Readmission is allowed throughout the day. The Museum is a peanut-free facility. Please do not bring peanuts into our facility. Any items with peanuts may not be consumed on the premises.
- There are two designated eating areas – the indoor community café and the outdoor picnic tables. High chairs are available for your convenience.
Children's Discovery Garden
- Complimentary mats are available to sit on the artificial grass and enjoy.
Have some children's clothing that you don't need anymore? Donate it to Gently Hugged! The red donation bin is located in the hallway near the staff kitchen and public restrooms.
- Located in the Museum lobby, the gift shop features thoughtful, educational, and fun products for every member of the family! Each company represented is selected for their commitment to the environment and their employees. Visit the gift shop to find quality products and innovative design you can feel good about. Admission is not required to shop! All purchases support exhibits and programming at San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum.
- Cash, check, and all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover) are accepted.
- We are located across the street from Grape Day Park and City Hall. Local shops and restaurants are located two blocks away on Escondido’s historic Grand Avenue. In case you left an essential care item at home, a drug store and two supermarkets are within a few blocks of the Museum as well. Readmission is allowed throughout the day.
- Any adult who wishes to visit the Museum without a child must be accompanied by a staff member and leave a photo ID at our Welcome Desk. You will be given a Visitor Badge to wear and given a tour of the Museum (given staff availability). Teachers are always welcomed to tour the Museum and will be asked to provide ID as well. This policy is in place for the safety of our visitors. Request a Museum Tour
- Free Wi-Fi is available to visitors. Password: discoveryrox
Click here to read FAQs.
Please read before you begin your journey of discovery:
1. Children and their adults must stay together at all times
2. Food and drinks must be consumed at dedicated tables or outside
3. All items must be peanut-free*
4. Toddler Tide Pool is a shoe-free zone
5. Toddler Tide Pool is reserved for visitors age 2 and under, and their adults
6. Shoes must be worn throughout the museum, with the exception of Toddler Tide Pool
7. Feet must stay on the ground or on the stairs
8. Walking feet and indoor voices only
9. Kind and respectful words must be used when addressing others
10. Not feeling well? Only stay and play if you are healthy and virus-free
11. Birthday celebrations must be registered in advance
* If peanuts are accidentally consumed on the premises, please immediately wash hands before touching anything