San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum is seeking high school volunteers who can be a positive mature role model to our summer campers. We are looking for individuals who are patient, flexible, and enthusiastic. The ideal candidate is a person who will help to promote positive social-emotional interactions between campers and foster fun and educational learning during organized activities led by museum educators. Volunteers must show enthusiasm for the program and our mission and be flexible and willing to try new tasks and challenges.
Summer Camp CIT Volunteer positions are available: June 19 – August 11.
Applicants will be selected for 1-week volunteer positions. There are two positions available each week:
- Morning Counselor in Training: 8 AM – 12 PM
- Afternoon Counselor in Training: 11 AM – 3 PM
- All applicants must be 14 - 18 years old. Each applicant must be at least 14 years of age by program start date.
- Applications must be completed and returned either online or in-person at San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum, 320 N Broadway, Escondido, CA 92027.
- Applications are due Friday, May 19.
- Online applications can be found at: https://forms.gle/HZyJP62jgJTcrMcg7
- Applicants must be available for an in-person interview Tuesday, May 30 or Wednesday, May 31.
In-Service Training/Orientation: All CIT’s accepted into the program (after being interviewed) are required to attend a meeting on Monday, June 12, from 9 – 11 AM at San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum.
Counselor in Training Benefits
- Gain practical work experience in leadership and organizational skills in the field of education
- Receive a letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the CIT program
- Obtain community service hours for school or other civic organizations
Counselor in Training Responsibilities
- Arrive on time for your scheduled hours
- Work with museum staff daily for specific assignments and activities such as supporting educational activities, monitoring and facilitating play on the Museum floor, supporting snack and lunch distribution and clean-up
- Attend all regularly scheduled CIT meeting/trainings