Seasonal (multiple positions available)
The Educator at San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum (SDCDM) is responsible for working with the Education team to implement enriching experiences through SDCDM’s Summer Program at a local elementary school from June 4th to July 27th, 2018. The Educator will be responsible for a single class in Grade 1, 2, or 3 throughout the entire summer.
The Educator is responsible for implementing educational programming during SDCDM’s Summer Program at a local elementary school.
- Implementation of educational programming to a class of 25 for 5 weeks including preparation, set-up, clean-up, and evaluation.
- Teach school programs that align with state and national learning standards such as CA Common Core, Next Generation Science Standards, Preschool Learning Foundations, and Visual and Performing Arts Content Standards.
- Ability to modify programs in response to age and ability of participants, performance reviews, and/or program evaluation.
- Model appropriate practices with young children and encourage learning through play. Encourage educational objectives throughout the museum experience.
- Work closely with the Summer Program Coordinator and Education team in curriculum execution, feedback, student supervision and discipline, etc.
- Minimum 1 year experience in a formal, non-formal, or informal educational setting.
- Has a passion and experience working with children Grade 1 to Grade 3.
- Associates or Bachelors in Education, Child Development, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Teaching experience utilizing effective classroom/group management skills.
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other office programs.
- Must be highly organized with excellent written and verbal communication.
- Must be able to function in a high energy team environment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred, but not required.
- Flexible schedule M-F up to 30 hours/week
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be First-Aid and CPR certified.
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license and proof of insurance. Must be able to travel to off-site program locations and transport teaching support materials as needed.
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, résumé, and age-appropriate sample lesson plan to:
Subject Line: Part-time Educator
Once received, your résumé and submitted materials will be reviewed, and if your experience and background fit our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.