San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum is proud to announce the return of KPBS Kids Workshops for 2017! Join Curious George, Elmo, Thomas, Sid the Science Kid, and other special guests as we explore the world around us through science, math, and literacy.
The KPBS Kids Event series consists of special storytimes, a visit by a costume character and/or interactive presentation, and a hands-on workshop that connects to a KPBS Kids program educational theme starting at 10:00am and 11:00am. KPBS Kids Events take place on the Second Saturday of select months and will last approximately 30-45 minutes.
These programs are designed for children ages 3 and up. Price of KPBS Kids Events are included in Museum admission. For Museum admission pricing, please visit our Admission & Pricing page.
Hands-on workshop seating is first come, first served. As workshops tend to fill up quickly, please arrive early to secure your spot. Costume characters are selected for specific workshops given availability.
2017 Workshop Schedule:
This project is a partnership between KPBS and the San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum, made possible with funding from the Linden Root Dickinson Foundation.
Copyright 1957, 1985 Dr. Seuss Enterprises, L.P. TM 2010 Dr. Seuss Enterprises, L.P., Portfolio Entertainment Inc and Collingwood O’Hare Productions Ltd. All rights reserved.
KPBS is a public service of San Diego State University.
- Saturday, January 14, 2017- Sid the Science Kid
- Educational Theme: Engineering
- Where does water come from? How does water get into your house? Discover San Diego’s water sources and engineer a water transportation system. Special storytime, a visit from a costume character, and workshop at 10am and 11am.
- Saturday, February 25, 2017- World Thinking Day
- Educational Theme: People & Cultures
- Join KPBS, San Diego Children’s Discovery Museum, and the Girl Scouts of San Diego for an exciting event exploring world cultures through performances and activities throughout the Museum. Free admission with registration for kids under 18 and regular admission price for adults. Event times are 10am and 11:30am. Register at kpbs.org/worldthinkingday.
- Thursday, March 2, 2016- Hats Off to Reading Day
- Educational Theme: Literacy
- Join us on Dr. Seuss’ birthday to celebrate Hats Off to Reading Day on Wednesday, March 2nd. This special day includes a special storytime, a visit by a costume character, book giveaways, and special activities throughout the Museum. The event runs from 10am-12pm.
- Saturday, April 8, 2017- Super Why
- Educational Theme: Literacy
- Do you know your ABCs? Join friends from Storybook Village to learn the alphabet and the letters in your name to create a poem! Special storytime, a visit from a costume character, and workshop at 10am and 11am.
- Saturday, May 13, 2017- Splash & Bubbles
- Educational Theme: Marine Biology
- How do creatures of the ocean survive such an extreme environment? Come to get know them and create your own sea creature! Special storytime, presentation (costume character pending), and workshop at 10am and 11am.
- Saturday, June 10, 2017- Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
- Educational Theme: Social Emotional Development
- Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood fosters discovery, cooperation, and friendship through music. Come together to sing for Dad and family and make a special Father’s Day project. Special storytime, a visit from a costume character, and workshop at 10am and 11am.
- Saturday, September 9, 2017- Peg + Cat
- Educational Theme: Math / Computer Science
- Peg + Cat need your help to make their super-popular honey cake! Learn about patterns and coding to solve the honey problem! Special storytime, a visit from a costume character, and workshop at 10am and 11am.
- Saturday, October 14, 2017- Dinosaur Train!
- Educational Theme: Paleontology
- If you found a fossil, would you know it? Can you imagine the creature the fossil came from? Explore different fossils and the stories they share. Special storytime, a visit from a costume character, and workshop at 10am and 11am.
- Saturday, November 18, 2017- Curious George
- Educational Theme: Garden Science
- How do seeds turn into food? Come explore the plant life cycle with George and take home a seed to grow your own food! Special storytime, a visit from a costume character, and workshop at 10am and 11am.